Conditional tenses are used to speculate about what could happen, what might have happened, and what we wish would happen. In English, most sentences using the conditional contain the word if. Many conditional forms in English are used in sentences that include verbs in one of the past tenses. This usage is referred to as "the unreal past" because we use a past tense but we are not actually referring to something that happened in the past. There are five main ways of constructing conditional sentences in English. In all cases, these sentences are made up of an if clause and a main clause. In many negative conditional sentences, there is an equivalent sentence construction using "unless" instead of "if".
There are
three types of conditional sentences:
1. The zero conditional
The zero
conditional is used for when the time being referred to is now or always and
the situation is real and possible. The zero conditional is often used to refer
to general truths. The tense in both parts of the sentence is the simple
present. In zero conditional sentences, the word "if" can usually be
replaced by the word "when" without changing the meaning.
ü üFacts/True
ü üHabits
ü üRules
ü üInstructions
|
FORM |
|
|
IF CLAUSE |
MAIN CLAUSE |
|
If/when + Simple Present |
Simple Present |
Example:
·
When
the sun sets, it gets dark.
·
If
you leave milk out, it spoils. (General fact)
·
If
the power goes out, we can’t watch TV.
·
If
she doesn’t call, I’m annoyed. (General fact)
2. First Conditional
The type 1 conditional is used to refer to the present or future where
the situation is real. The type 1 conditional refers to a possible condition
and its probable result. In these sentences the if clause is in the simple
present, and the main clause is in the simple future.
ü Predictions
ü Superstitions
ü Plans
ü Promises
ü Offers
ü Suggestions
ü Warnings
|
FORM |
|
|
IF
CLAUSE |
MAIN
CLAUSE |
|
If/when
+ Present Simple |
Present
Future |
Example:
·
If
you don’t eat now, you’ll be hungry later
·
If
she doesn’t call, I’ll be annoyed.
·
When
the sun sets, it will get cold.
·
If
aliens arrive on earth, I will great them!
·
If
you leave the milk out, it will spoil. (Advice or warning about present)
3. Second Conditional
The type 2 conditional is used to
refer to a time that is now or any time, and a situation that is unreal. These
sentences are not based on fact. The type 2 conditional is used to refer to a
hypothetical condition and its probable result. In type 2 conditional
sentences, the if clause uses the simple past, and the main clause uses the
present conditional.
|
FORM |
|
|
IF
CLAUSES |
MAIN
CLAUSES |
|
If
+ Past Simple |
…
would + Invinitive |
Used for:
ü To imagine life is different
·
Things
in the future that are unlikely.
·
Things
that are impossible in the present.
Example:
a. If she lived in London, she would
have English friends.
b. If I didn’t want to go, I would tell
you.
c. If I didn’t finish my homework, I
wouldn’t tell my teacher.
ü Hypothetical Questions
To ask
someone to imagine what they would do in a different situation.
Example:
a. What would you do if you quit the
job?
b. If you won a million dollars, would
you travel the world?
ü Give Advice
Example:
a. If I were you, I’d talk to my boss
before I quit the job.
b. If I were her, I’d break up with him.
ü Give Reasons
Example:
a. If I had the money, I’d lend it to
you.
b. If I wasn’t so busy, I would invite
you over for dinner.
4.
Third Conditional
The type 3 conditional is used to
refer to a time that is in the past, and a situation that is contrary to
reality. The facts they are based on are the opposite of what is expressed. The
type 3 conditional is used to refer to an unreal past condition and its
probable past result. In type 3 conditional sentences, the if clause uses the
past perfect, and the main clause uses the perfect conditional.
ü Talk about past
ü Unreal Past
|
FORM |
|
|
IF
CLAUSE |
MAIN
CLAUSE |
|
If
+ Past Perfect |
Perfect
Conditional (would have+V3) |
Example:
·
If
I had left earlier, I wouldn’t missed my flight.
·
If
you hadn’t be so rude, they would have invited you back.
·
If
you had called me, I would have come.
Notes:
“would” can change with “could or might”
→ Possibility/ability.
↓
Probability/certainty
Example:
If she had studied more, she might have passed.
If you had lent me your car, I could have got
there faster.
Refernces:
https://www.ef.com/wwen/english-resources/english-grammar/conditional/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYdIhPgIDkg&t=562s
https://www.youtube.co m/watch?v=71u-NoY4Ag8
Komentar
Posting Komentar